While visiting my mother in Paynesville I attended a U3A (University of the 3rd age) discussion group my father regularly attended before his passing. It is concerned with current affairs. So I raised these three topics, it was my father’s job there to manage the discussion.
1. Global Warming
- Caused by burning fossil fuels – cars, power plants. These things have helped humans progress substantially but it’s time to save the planet
- 99% of scientists say it’s because of human activity
- Getting warmer
- Ice caps melting, water levels rising, Bangladesh example
- Will possibly cause human extinction
- What can we do?
- Power consumption, voting – greens perhaps?
- Promote renewables
2 Nuclear War
- The other big threat to humanity
- Countries with the bomb
- North Korea, Iran, Russia, France Israel, UK, US – Trump
- Trouble in the Middle East
- Israel’s killing of Palestinians and annexing of land may cause global conflict where the bomb might be used
3. Artificial Intelligence
- AI will take most human jobs – robots
- AI will enables humans to focus on life, leave the mundane to AI
- AI is an opportunity for evolution
- As dramatic as any human invention:
- Our first inventions were the use of fire, the wheel, language, money
- Socratesand Plato developed human thought
- More recent inventions like politics, education and flight.
- Now we have AI
- Stephen Hawking says AI is the biggest threat to humanity